MUNICIPAL DISTRICT OF GREENVIEW, ALBERTA
DEPARTMENT: Community Services
LOCATION: Grande Cache, Alberta
STATUS: Accepting applications until a suitable candidate is found.
Located in Northwest Alberta, the Municipal District of Greenview is a vast and diverse area rich in oil and gas, fertile farmland, and mixed wood forests. As the third-largest rural municipality in Alberta, Greenview boasts diversity in economic activities and an extraordinary landscape. Greenview’s economy is strengthened by its diversity, a talented workforce and an entrepreneurial spirit that is second to none. Our residents experience adventure right in their backyards with lakes, rivers, Rocky Mountain peaks and vast prairie offering a year-round outdoor playground for all ages.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
Reporting to the Beautification Supervisor, the Weed/Pest Inspector is responsible for the inspection and documentation of all weed and pest infestations and perform follow up as required. This is a seasonal position from May 1st to September 29th, 2023.
- Inspect and document weed infestations and contact landowners to discuss control measures.
- Document all phone conversations, letters, and visits to landholders.
- Input all information and documentation onto the computer system.
- Communicate all weed and/or pest infestations to Supervisor.
- Ensure Municipal controlled properties are free of noxious weeds and nuisance pests.
- Assist with the implementation, planning and prioritizing of the yearly Spray Program, in conjunction with the Supervisor and area Weed/Pest Inspectors in accordance with relevant regulations and legislation.
- Operate Spray Truck and spray gun.
- Fill Spray Truck with appropriate chemicals
- Retrieval of chemical containers.
- Minor repairs and servicing of relevant equipment.
- Roadside seeding.
- Document products being applied, areas covered, and environmental conditions.
- Other duties as assigned.
QUALIFICATIONS / EDUCATION / EXPERIENCE:
- To perform this job successfully, the individual must be able to perform the duties listed above to a high degree of quality, timeliness, and precision.
- Grade 12.
- Pesticide application knowledge and experience.
- Class 5 driver’s license.
- Good verbal and written communication skills
- Ability to interact well with and respond to inquiries from employees, Management, Council and Ratepayers
- Crop and weed identification and knowledge.
- Must be self-motivated and able to work with minimal supervision.
- Record keeping skills.
- Use and operation of a vehicle.
- Ability to interpret, implement and adhere to organizational policies and procedures.
WORKING CONDITIONS AND PHYSICAL ENVIRONMENT:
- Extensive periods of walking through all types of terrain
- Subject to working in outdoor environment – heat, cold, dry, dusty and / or wet conditions as well as insects, bees, and wildlife.
- Working alone in a rural area
- Use and operation of a variety of vehicles including: trucks and ATV’s over all types of terrain
- Subject to falls, cuts, and scrapes
- Exposure to pesticides
- Normal working day consists of 7.5 hours; however occasional overtime may be required.
HEALTH & SAFETY:
- All personnel working at the Municipal District of Greenview are governed by the Municipal District Health & Safety Policy.
- Ensures all operations are conducted in a safe manner and in accordance with Municipal District Policies and Occupational Health & Safety Regulations.
- Required to wear correct Personal Protective Equipment as per safe job procedures.
- May be required to wear respiratory equipment if conditions warrant.
- Pesticide application – gloves, boots, respirator, coveralls, and head protection.
- Must follow all safe job procedures.
Note: The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by the incumbent of this job. They are not intended to be an exhaustive list of all responsibilities and activities required of the position.
HOW TO APPLY:
Interested candidates may submit cover letter (stating the position you are applying to) and resume in one of the following ways:
Mail or Drop Off: Municipal District of Greenview No. 16
4806 – 36 Ave., Box 1079
Valleyview, Alberta T0H 3N0
Confidential Fax: 780-524-3981
For more information on opportunities with the MD of Greenview, please visit: https://mdgreenview.ab.ca/jobs/
While we truly appreciate all applications, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.