Seasonal Equipment Operator – Sprayer (May 16-Sept 2)
Job Type: Seasonal Full-Time
Location: Rocky View County, Alberta
Number of Positions: 1
Rocky View County is committed to providing our employees a respectful and stable work environment, unique benefits that promote work/life balance, and opportunities for professional learning and personal growth. We seek individuals who thrive on challenge and will contribute their positive energy, innovation, and service mindset to making a difference and contributing meaningfully to the vibrant community of 40,000 people who call Rocky View County home.
*This posting will remain open until vacancies are filled.
The hours of work for this position are Monday-Friday, 8:00am-4:30pm, 40 hours per week.
As directed by an Agricultural Services Officer and overseen by the Manager of Agricultural and Environmental Services, the Equipment Operator – Vegetation Management is responsible for operating roadside spray equipment to control noxious and prohibited noxious weeds on private and public property throughout the County.
- Operate county spray equipment including one- or two-ton spray trucks, ATV/UTV sprayers, and backpack sprayer. Ensure the application of herbicide or removal by manual equipment.
- Maintain detailed records and logs on all control operations as required by Alberta Environment.
- Maintain assigned County vehicles and equipment ensuring cleanliness and identification of any deficiencies to the Agricultural Services Officers or Manager.
- Inspect and identify noxious and prohibited noxious weed species throughout the County. Determine and implement weed control measures.
- Provide information and advice to County residents in relation to weed inspection services and the need to control restricted and or noxious weeds.
- Perform general inspection programs for agricultural pests as assigned.
- Liaise with other municipal lands staff to determine progress, establish work plans and communicate land issues identified through daily operations.
- Act in a professional and responsible manner to protect the integrity of staff and the business of the County.
- Display a professional and ethical responsibility to protect privacy, use information appropriately, and maintain the confidentiality and security of all information related to staff, business and residents of Rocky View County.
- Foster positive relationships with internal and external customers.
- Work in accordance with the requirements established by the RVC Health and Safety Program and the Alberta OHS Act, Regulation and Code.
- Take reasonable care to protect their health and safety and other persons at or in the vicinity of the worksite while they are working.
- This position is not eligible for remote work.
Enrollment in a post-secondary institution along with a minimum of one year experience in the Agricultural Services field.
- Ability to mix and apply herbicides.
- Hold a current, or have eligibility, to acquire an Authorized Assistant Certificate or a Pesticide Applicators License (Industrial and/or Agricultural).
- Display superior customer service attitude towards internal and external customers.
- Proficient with MS Office Suite, GPS/GIS, operation of cell phones, laptop computers and GPS units.
- Ability to work independently with minimal supervision and work as part of a team.
- Demonstrate and execute safe and skillful operation of equipment at all times.
- Possess a valid class 3 driver's license (preferred) or a valid Class 5 driver’s license
- Ensure appropriate utilization of personal protective equipment required (e.g., CSA footwear).
Interested applicants are invited to apply direct to https://www.rockyview.ca/careers.
This posting will remain open until vacancies are filled.
We thank all applicants for their interest; however
only those selected for interviews will be contacted.