Seasonal Vegetation Management Technician
Kneehill County is seeking detailed, sensible, knowledgeable, and energetic individuals as Vegetation Management Technicians. These individuals will take part in our Agricultural Services program as weed inspectors, herbicide applicators, and assist in provincial pest surveys. Successful candidates will be skilled in handling ratepayer interactions, identification of plant species, records management, and task prioritization. Kneehill County offers a fun, collaborative work environment with various team building and appreciation activities, learning opportunities, and provides all safety and position specific supplies and training.
Duties of the successful candidate will include:
- Working under provincial legislation and programs such as: The Agricultural Service Board Act, Alberta Weed Control Act, Soil Conservation Act, and The Agricultural Pests Act.
- Completing thorough surveillance for invasive weed species and maintaining detailed weed inspection and spray application records with use of GPS, mobile apps and other technology.
- Operation and maintenance of spray equipment on public and private lands including UTV, truck box and backpack sprayers.
- Interacting with local ratepayers in weed identification, management and enforcement, completing crop and pest surveys, and giving technical or other support as required.
- Assisting with Provincial Pest Surveys
- Maintaining the cleanliness and organization of vehicles, equipment, shop, and area.
- Operate other equipment such as a telehandler, weed whip and ride on mowers as required.
- Participate in safety meetings and training as part of Kneehill County’s health and safety program.
- Other duties as determined by the Manager of Parks & Agricultural Services or Designate.
- Valid Class 5 Alberta Driver’s License;
- Education in agriculture, environmental or biological sciences or related fields;
- An agricultural background will be considered an asset;
- Strong plant/weed/pest identification skills;
- Hold an Alberta Pesticide Applicators Certification or be eligible to obtain an Alberta Authorized Assistant applicators license;
- Experience towing trailers and operating equipment;
- Ability to communicate effectively and courteously with supervisor, co-workers and the public;
- Able to follow instructions as given and prioritize tasks;
- Ability to lift up to 50 lbs and perform work outdoors in all weather conditions
- Strong work ethic and self-starter
- Excellent communication, interpersonal and conflict resolution skills
- Strong records management, and organizational skills
- Good teamwork, partnering, and networking skills
- Comfortable with, and motivated while conducting solo work
- Excellent problem-solving skills
- Strong commitment to public service and safety
- Good with technology i.e. computers, GIS, GPS and mobile apps
- Good sense of humor
If you have the skill set to match our needs, please visit our website for information on submitting your resume for consideration.
Closing Date: March 7, 2024
We thank all applicants for their interest, however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted. All applicants must be entitled to legally work in Canada and reside in the general area (or be willing to).