Seasonal Vegetation Management Technician
Kneehill County is seeking a qualified, dynamic, knowledgeable, and energetic individual as a Vegetation Management Technician. This individual will take part as a weed inspector, herbicide applicator, roadside mower, assist in provincial pest surveys and complete other duties as determined by the Manager of Parks & Agricultural Services or Designate.
Duties of the successful candidate will include:
• Working under provincial legislation and programs such as: The Agricultural Service Board Act, Alberta Weed Control Act, Soil Conservation Act, and The Agricultural Pests Act.
• Completing thorough surveillance for invasive weed species and maintaining detailed weed inspection and spray application records with use of GPS and other technology.
• Operation and maintenance of spray equipment on public and private lands including UTV, truck box and backpack sprayers.
• Operation and maintenance of FWA tractor with side arm rotary mower for roadside ditch mowing of municipal rights-of-way and other public lands.
• Interacting with local producers in weed ID & control, completing crop and pest surveys, and giving technical or other support as required.
• Assisting with Provincial pest Surveys
• Maintaining the cleanliness and organization of vehicles, equipment, shop, and area.
• Operate other equipment such as a telehandler, weed whip and ride on mowers as required.
• Participate in safety meetings and training as part of Kneehill County’s health and safety program.
• Other duties as determined by the Manager of Parks & Agricultural Services or Designate.
• Valid Class 5 Alberta Driver’s License;
• Education in agriculture, environmental or biological sciences or related fields;
• An agricultural background will be considered an asset;
• Strong plant/weed identification skills;
• Hold an Alberta Pesticide Applicators Certification or be eligible to obtain an Alberta Authorized Assistant applicators license;
• Experience towing trailers and knowledge of equipment operation;
• Ability to communicate effectively and courteously with supervisor, co-workers and the public;
• Able to follow instructions as given and prioritize tasks;
• Ability to lift up to 50 lbs and perform work outdoors in all weather conditions
• Strong work ethic and self-starter
• Excellent communication, interpersonal and conflict resolution skills
• Strong records management, and organizational skills
• Good teamwork, partnering, and networking skills
• Comfortable with, and motivated while conducting solo work
• Excellent problem-solving skills
• Strong commitment to public service and safety
• Good with technology i.e. computers, GIS, GPS and mobile apps
• Good sense of humor
Please forward your resume one of the following ways:
Mail: Kneehill County - Human Resources
Box 400 Three Hills, AB T0M 2A0
If you have, any question please Phone: (403) 443-5541 or Toll free: 1(866) 443-5541
This posting will remain open until suitable candidates are chosen. We thank all applicants for their interest, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.