Vegetation Management Technician l (Competition #: 51-2021)
Position Type: 2 Positions, Temporary Full-Time
Rate of Pay: $24.28 - $28.40 per hour
Hours of Work: Immediately – August 27, 2021, Monday – Friday 7:00 am – 3:30 pm (hours may be subject to change).
Competition Close Date: Open till a suitable candidate is found.
Are you interested in gaining valuable knowledge and skill in addition to contributing to a dynamic team while working outdoors for the summer? Do you have an Agriculture background or related Post Secondary Education? If so, we encourage you to look on…..Sturgeon Counties Agriculture Department has 2 openings for summer employment in the position of Vegetation Management Technician l. The focus of this position is to control vegetation within the municipality. The position will follow the high level of safety protocols in place while working with herbicides and equipment. In addition, we offer in house training!
• Operate herbicide application equipment to control weeds on municipal road allowances and park reserves.
• Apply herbicides in accordance with all relevant legislation.
• Perform mechanical and manual weed control work.
• Record details of work performed, including materials used, weather conditions and locations.
• The ability to conduct minor service and maintenance activities on job-related equipment, and/or the ability to recognize and report when service or maintenance is required.
• Perform other related duties as required.
• Adhere to applicable responsibilities and accountabilities as outlined in the Sturgeon County Health and Safety Management System.
• Ability to work effectively independently and as part of a team.
• Ability to communicate effectively and courteously with supervisors, co-workers, and the public.
• Familiarity with the Alberta Township Survey (ATS) System.
• Ability to maintain accurate records and to prepare written reports.
• Ability to identify noxious and prohibited noxious weed species.
• Knowledge of pesticides.
• Completion of some post-secondary studies in agriculture, environmental science, or a related field.
• A current pesticide applicator Authorized Assistant certification (or the ability to obtain).
• Valid class 5 driver’s license with an acceptable driver’s abstract.
• Standard First Aid certification (or the ability to obtain).
• Defensive Driving certification (or the ability to obtain).
• Ability to wear a half mask with organic carbon filters when handling and applying herbicides, and completion of a Respiratory User Screening Form as per the CSA Z94.4-11.
• Ability to conduct strenuous work in an outdoor setting and perform medium lifting of 25 kilograms.
• Experience with trailer hookup, cargo securement and towing.
• Certification/experience operating ATVS/UTVs and/or towing trailers with a pickup would be an asset.
• An agricultural background would be an asset.
• Experience driving a pickup on gravel roads would be considered an asset.
Thank you to all applicants for their interest, however only those chosen for an interview will be contacted.
Sturgeon County is an equal opportunity employer.