Big Lakes County
High Prairie Shop
Reporting to the Agricultural Fieldman, Agriculture Laborers are responsible for the inspection and control of weeds, pests, and vegetation control throughout the County.
Key Roles & Responsibilities
• Operate truck and trailer mounted sprayers or all-terrain vehicle mounted spraying equipment to apply herbicides on County Road right-of-ways and area of weed infestation in compliance with provincial regulations and standard practices.
• Inform landowners of all control measures.
• Daily monitor and service application equipment to ensure safe and proper operation.
• The ability to deal with the public effectively and courteously.
• Accurate records, mapping, use of computer and GPS for documentation of vegetation management area.
• Assist with other related duties pertaining to the functions of Agricultural Services as directed.
Education & Experience
• Valid Alberta Class 5 Operator’s.
• Current drivers abstract.
• Minimum grade 12 diploma.
• Certification or willingness to obtain: WHMIS, TDG, Standard First Aid/CPR, ATV Rider Training, Pesticide Applicators License, or other training as required.
• Good physical condition to perform both field and office duties.
Knowledge, Skills & Attributes
• Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
• Record keeping skills.
• Must maintain confidentiality.
• Must be self-motivated, and able to work with minimal supervision.
• Weed and Crop identification and knowledge – Asset.
• Pesticide application knowledge and experience – Asset.
• Map reading skills and working knowledge of Geographical Positioning System (GPS)& Geographic Information System (GIS).
Conditions & Physical Environment
• Work is performed at various outdoor work sites within the County.
• Use and operation of trucks and ATV’s.
• Work may be performed in extreme temperatures.
• Physical job requirements: May require lifting and carrying of up to 23 kg, bending, twisting, kneeling, squatting, crawling.
• Exposure to outdoor conditions.
• Dust and fumes.
• Normal works days consist of 8 hours; however occasional overtime may be required.
Health & Safety
• All personnel working at Big Lakes County are governed by the County’s Health & Safety Policy.
• Ensures all operations are conducted in a safe manner and in accordance with County Policies and Occupational Health & Safety Regulations.
• Required to wear correct P.P.E as per safe job procedures.
• Must check in as per Working Alone legislation.
• Must follow all safe job procedures.
Submit Cover Letter and Resume, Including References to:
Human Resources Manager
Big Lakes County
Box 239, High Prairie, AB T0G 1E0
Deadline for applications: Open until suitable candidates are found.
Big Lakes County thanks all applicants for their interest; however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted. Visit our website at www.biglakescounty.ca for more information.