Department: Agricultural Services
Location: Nampa, AB
For more position information, please visit: https://northernsunrise.net/job-opportunities/
Northern Sunrise County is abundant with oil and gas, forestry, agriculture and tourism. It encompasses a vast area of over 21,000 square kilometers of unspoiled wilderness and agricultural land, including small hamlets and villages, providing endless adventure and economic potential. In addition, the thriving town of Peace River is nearby offering all the necessary amenities for modern living.
Reporting to the Agricultural Fieldman, the labourer is responsible for assisting in the Agricultural Services department operations and other support duties as required. The labourer must ensure that all applicable municipal policies and bylaws, provincial legislation and federal legislation are adhered to.
• Assist with the day-to-day operations of the Agricultural Services Department.
• Provide expertise and information to the Agricultural Fieldman.
• Provide hands-on services as well as perform and implement weed inspection, pesticide application, pest and nuisance control, shelterbelt tree programs, and all other Agricultural Services Department programs.
• Provide extension services to residents on weeds, pests, diseases, horticulture, livestock, water, soils, grazing, forages, cereal and oilseeds, and other special crops.
• Assist with the County’s rental equipment program.
• Maintain accurate files on all matters relating to the Agricultural Services Department.
• Establish and maintain productive working relations with the public, staff of other departments, and other local agencies.
• Assist with the County’s equipment and maintenance programs.
• High School Diploma or equivalent.
• Current Basic First Aid and CPR Certificates would be an asset.
• Knowledge of provincial regulations and municipal bylaws and policies relating to the Agricultural Services Department would be a definite asset.
• Valid Class 5 Alberta Driver’s License with positive driving record.
• Excellent time management and organizational skills.
• Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
• Strong attention to detail required.
• Ability to work independently and in a team while exercising sound judgement, discretion, tact and confidentiality at all times.
• A positive record of working effectively with the general public.
• Extensive computer experience and knowledge of Microsoft Office software and working knowledge of databases.
• Experience working with agricultural operations and maintenance would be an asset.
• Willingness to take other training as required.
• A farming or land sciences background and/or related practical agricultural/environmental science experience is considered an asset.
WORKING CONDITIONS & PHYSICAL ENVIRONMENT:
• Moderate use of computers and related equipment.
• Medium physical effort in relation to the season; occasional light-moderate lifting.
• Subject to working in mostly outdoor environment, including exposure to various weather conditions and rough terrain.
• Use and operation of a vehicle or other motorized equipment.
• Regular working day consists of up to 10 hours, for a total of 40 hours a week; however, occasional overtime or weekend work may be required.
• Some travel may be required.
HEALTH & SAFETY:
• All personnel working at Northern Sunrise County are governed by the County’s Health and Safety Policy.
• Ensure all operations are conducted in a safe manner and in accordance with County Policies and Occupational Health and Safety Regulations.
• Ensure proper safety training and safe work practices for staff.
• Ensure proper ergonomic requirements are met and good ergonomic procedures are practiced.
Note: The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by the incumbent of this job. They are not intended to be an exhaustive list of all responsibilities and activities required of the position.
The term of employment will be approximately from May to August. The position posting will remain open until suitable candidates are found. We would like to thank all applicants and advise that only those to be interviewed will be contacted.
Employment with the County is conditional upon receiving the following documents on or before your first day of work:
Satisfactory Criminal Record Check
Satisfactory Driver’s Abstract
Interested candidates may apply to:
Olive Toews, Director of Legislative Services & Human Resources
Northern Sunrise County
Bag 1300, Peace River, AB T8S 1Y9
Phone 780-624-0013 Fax 780-624-0023