Posting Date: May 12, 2023
Location: Edmonton Area, AB
Company: Government of Alberta
Job Title: ASB Unit Manager
Job Requisition ID: 42471
Ministry: Agriculture and Irrigation
Location: Edmonton Area
Full or Part-Time: Full Time
Hours of Work: 36.25 hours per week
Scope: Open Competition
Closing Date: May 23, 2023
Classification: Management Manager Zone 2
The Government of Alberta is committed to a diverse and inclusive public service that reflects the population we serve to best meet the needs of Albertans. Consider joining a team where diversity, inclusion and innovation are valued and supported. For more information on diversity and inclusion, please visit: https://www.alberta.ca/diversity-inclusion-policy.aspx
The Ministry of Agriculture and Irrigation is responsible for the policies, legislation, regulations, programs, and services that enable Alberta’s agriculture and food sectors to flourish and contribute to Alberta’s economic recovery and growth. The ministry’s role is diverse, ranging from food safety and industry growth and diversification to increasing investment and supporting growth in rural Alberta. The ministry also supports foundational programs like irrigation and agricultural societies that help create strong rural communities and resilient agriculture sectors. For more information about the Ministry of Agriculture and Irrigation please visit our website at: https://www.alberta.ca/agriculture-and-irrigation.aspx
The Crop Assurance Section deals with a wide range of diverse and rapidly evolving issues, projects, and programs that directly impact Alberta's agriculture and food sectors.
The role of the ASB Unit Manager in the Crop Assurance Section is to provide leadership for Agricultural Service Board Act (ASB) Act, ASB programs and projects. The ASB program is crucial for Alberta, as ASBs with support from municipal agricultural fieldmen serve as the regulatory arm for the ASB Act, Weed Control Act, Agricultural Pest Act, Soil Conservation Act, and Animal Health Act within the department.
In this position, you will play a key role in overseeing program delivery, leading teams, fostering and maintaining partnerships both internally and externally with the Ministry, and effectively managing issues with a strategic approach.
As the Manager, you must be prepared to leverage your comprehensive knowledge to support strategic initiatives and programs that align with the Ministry's and industry's needs. This position entails addressing a broad array of unique and complex challenges and opportunities, often requiring extensive analysis, evaluation, and judgment. This includes responding to ASB resolutions and/or emerging issues raised by ASBs. Additionally, the program encompasses various rural municipalities with differing perspectives and objectives, necessitating the ability to navigate these diverse positions and address a wide spectrum of issues.
University graduation in a related field preferably in Agriculture or Biology or related field with five (5) years experience, including at least 2 years of management experience;
Equivalency: Directly related education or experience considered on the basis of:
- 1 year of education for 1 year of experience; or
- 1 year of experience for 1 year of education
- Eligible for Professional Agrologist or Professional Biologist
- Proficient understanding of financial processes and practices related to budgeting and procurement, including contracts and grants.
- Demonstrated expertise in program initiation and development.
- Strong experience and knowledge in policy development.
- Extensive familiarity with the agriculture industry, farming/ranching, and invasive species, as well as collaborating with municipal stakeholders.
- Extensive track record and comfort in traveling across rural Alberta under various weather conditions and engaging with rural Albertans in remote locations.
- Extensive experience in creating compelling presentations and delivering speeches to large audiences.
- Proven ability to effectively lead and manage staff, project teams, and incorporate diverse input into program development.
- Comprehension of Ministry Business/Strategic Plans and possessing political acumen.
- Working knowledge and experience with relevant Government of Alberta (GOA) legislation, particularly the ASB Act, the Weed Control Act, the Agricultural Pest Act, and the Soil Conservation Act.
- Possession of a valid driver's license.
Competencies are behaviors that are essential to reach our goals in serving Albertans. We encourage you to have an in depth understanding of the competencies that are required for this opportunity and to be prepared to demonstrate them during the recruitment process.
This link will assist you with understanding competencies: https://www.alberta.ca/assets/documents/psc-alberta-public-service-competency-model.pdf
The successful candidate will demonstrate the following APS Competencies:
- Drive for Results
- Build Collaborative Environments
- Develop Networks
- Systems Thinking
- Creative Problem Solving
$3,100.80 to $4,172.77 bi-weekly. ($80,930 - $108,909 / year)
- Office located in Edmonton Area
- Hours of Work: 36.25 hours per week (permanent full time)
- Monday to Friday (08:15 am-16:30 pm)
- Evening and weekend work is sometimes required
Additional Applicant Information:
Instructions for your Resume:
For Employment Experience:
Please indicate duration of employment (month, year)
Ex: Youth Worker, Jan 2006 - June 2009, Part-time (three, 8 hour shifts per week)
For any Post-Secondary Education:
Please specify your major and length of the program
Please specify the year of graduation
Ex: Bachelor of Social Work, 4-year Degree (Graduated 2017)
What we offer:
- Working for the Alberta Public Service – https://www.alberta.ca/advantages-working-for-alberta-public-service.aspx
- Pension plan: Management Employees Pension Plan (MEPP) – https://www.mepp.ca
- Leadership and mentorship programs
- Professional learning and development
- Positive workplace culture and work-life balance
- Opportunity to participate in flexible work arrangements such as working from home up to two days per week and modified work schedule agreements
- Research Alberta Public Service Careers tool – https://researchapscareers.alberta.ca
How To Apply
Click “Apply” button.
Candidates are required to apply for a job online. Please visit https://www.alberta.ca/navigating-online-jobs-application.aspx to learn more about creating a candidate profile and other tips for the Government of Alberta’s online application system.
If you are not currently an employee with the Government of Alberta, the first step in applying for a job is creating your candidate profile within our online application system, click here to access the main log in page where you are able to ‘Create an account’, reset your password (‘Forgot your password’) or ‘Sign In’ should you already have an account.
Existing employees should access the Career tile in 1GX to submit their application in order to be recognized as an internal applicant.
Once you have created your candidate profile, visit the Alberta Public Service job site to apply for jobs at https://www.alberta.ca/alberta-public-service-jobs.aspx
Applicants are advised to provide information that clearly and concisely demonstrates how their qualifications meet the advertised requirements, including education, experience and relevant examples of required competencies.
Resources for applicants:
It is recommended applicants who have completed post-secondary studies from outside of Canada obtain an evaluation of their credentials from the International Qualifications Assessment Service (IQAS) or from recognized Canadian Credential Evaluator; please visit the Alliance of Credential Evaluation Services of Canada for more information.
This competition may be used to fill future vacancies, across the Government of Alberta, at the same or lower classification level.
We thank all applicants for their interest. All applications will be reviewed to determine which candidates' qualifications most closely match the advertised requirements. Only individuals selected for interviews will be contacted.
If this competition is closed as per the closing date noted above, please continue to check http://www.jobs.alberta.ca for a listing of current career opportunities with the Government of Alberta.