Seasonal Employment: Weed/Pest Technician
Competition # SWPT2022 | until suitable candidates are found
The Municipal District of Lesser Slave River requires Weed/Pest Technicians for approximately the period of May to September 2024. The positions will be based out of the Flatbush sub-office, or the possible option of the Slave Lake Shop, with a 40-hour work week based on a rotating schedule including weekends. The weed/pest technicians are responsible for inspections on public and private lands within municipal boundary.
- Weed identification and inspection of noxious and prohibited noxious weeds on public and private lands within the Municipal District boundary.
- Pest identification and inspections on private lands as per policy and protocols.
- Administration and enforcement of the Alberta Weed Control Act and Agricultural Pests Act.
- Use of GIS and GPS systems in recording data and reporting requirements.
- Working extensively with the public as well as public agencies and corporations.
- Other duties as required.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Self-motivated and able to work independently.
- Weed and pest identification and best management practices.
- Computer aptitude/GIS and GPS skills.
- Valid Class 5 Alberta Driver’s License.
- Basic First Aid Certificate.
- A Pesticide Applicator’s Certificate (Agricultural/Industrial) would be an asset.
- Farm background would be an asset.
Salary Range: $24.36 - $32.06/hour, dependent on education and experience. Accommodations are available on-site in Flatbush at a reasonable cost.
This competition will remain open until suitable candidates are hired.
We thank all applicants in advance for their interest in this position; however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.