Located in the heart of Central Alberta, Red Deer County provides a wonderful mix of rural and urban amenities. Over 97% of County residents report high satisfaction with their quality of life, making Red Deer County a great destination for both living and working.
Red Deer County is a great place to work! It is much more than just a job to go to. It is a place where everyone plays an important role. At Red Deer County, we believe that mutual trust and respect, shared responsibility, and open communication are essential characteristics for creating personal success within a first class working environment.
The Agriculture Services Department of Red Deer County has a term, full-time position for a dynamic and highly motivated Parks Field Assistant to supplement our ongoing focus in the delivery of customer service excellence.
The responsibilities of the position include, but are not limited to:
• Tree and shrub bed care including pruning, mulching, watering, planting, pest and disease ID
• Turf maintenance including assisting with the operation of open space mowing program, aerating, seeding, fertilizing.
• Manual/chemical weed control.
• Routine playground inspections and maintenance.
• Communication with County residents, the general public, and staff.
• Operation of assorted equipment including chainsaw, weed eater, dump box trailer, UTV, utility tractor
• Bridge and guardrail vegetation control.
• Assist with a variety of parks related tasks such as sports field maintenance, painting, sign installation, graffiti removal.
• Complete minor repairs to County property (fencing, outdoor buildings, parking sites, etc.)
• Manual labour, park maintenance, and other duties as required within the scope of the position.
• Roadside Brushing. including assisting with the oversight of contractors, scouting locations, and quality control.
• Detailed record keeping, computer operation, and other office duties.
• Completion of (or currently enrolled in) a post-secondary Horticulture, Landscape Technology, or related certificate or diploma program; an equivalent combination of experience and education will be considered.
• Prior experience in a municipal parks setting is an asset
• Ability to operate equipment such as truck and dump trailer, utility tractor, UTV
• Familiar with pruning principals and equipment such as hand secateurs, hedge trimmers, handsaws and chainsaw operation
• Ability to identify local trees, weeds, and shrubs as well as diagnose tree and turf pests and diseases.
• Ability to work outside in all kinds of weather and in environments which may be muddy, wet, dirty, extreme heat/sun or cold
• Ability to solve problems and make independent decisions• Ability to work alone with minimal supervision.
• Proficient computer skills (ArcGIS, MS Office applications).
• Excellent communication and interpersonal skills.
• Ability to lift 25 kilograms.
• Valid Class 5 Drivers’ License with acceptable drivers’ abstract and criminal records check.
• Valid Pesticide Applicator Certification with Landscape Classification is an asset.
• Mechanical aptitude is an asset.
This is a seasonal, term, full-time position (40 hours/week).
Term: March 23, 2022 – November 30, 2022
Hourly Rate: $26.23
Hourly Rate for Licensed Applicator: $27.01
Jennifer Dennis - Human Resources Coordinator
Red Deer County Centre
38106, Range Rd. 275
Red Deer County, AB T4S 2L9
We thank all applicants for their interest; however, only those invited for an interview will be contacted.