Term May 7, 2018-August 24, 2018
Thorhild County is seeking a suitable individual to assist the Agricultural Fieldpersons in carrying out the following duties:
- Operate herbicide application equipment to control weeds on municipal road allowances and other lands deemed necessary;
- Communicate weed and pest issues to landowners/occupants;
- Maintain detailed records of all work activities including interactions with landowners;
- Investigate complaints;
- Assist landowners in the identification of horticultural and crop insects and diseases;
- Perform vegetation management activities, including herbicide application and mechanical weed removal, or manual weed control when required;
- Perform insect and disease monitoring, including Grasshopper, Clubroot and Fusarium Head Blight;
- Assist when needed with the Beaver Control Program;
- Operate and maintain equipment per Thorhild County’s Transportation and Safety Manual; and
- Other duties deemed necessary
- Completion of some post secondary studies in agriculture, environmental science or related field;
- Ability to work independently or as part of a team;
- Possess an Authorized Assistant Certificate or Pesticide Applicator’s License (would be an asset);
- Ability to identify noxious weeds and prohibited noxious weeds;
- Standard First Aid;
- Physical ability to sit for long periods and to perform a variety of manual tasks (heavy lifting, squatting, bending, twisting and climbing). Work is performed with exposure to the outdoor elements;
- Possess a valid Class 5 Driver’s License with Q endorsement (or ability to obtain);
- Successful candidate will be required to provide a Criminal Records Check and Driver’s Abstract;
- Must participate in a Fitness to Hire Assessment;
- Agricultural background would be an asset.
This position is included within the scope of the County’s unionized setting (IUOE Local 955) and is based on an eight (8) hour work day. Current employees of Thorhild County fulfilling the requirements essential to this position shall be considered.
Position will remain open until suitable candidate is hired.
Please forward resumes to:
Payroll & Personnel Manager
County of Thorhild
We thank all applicants, however, only those individuals selected for interviews will be contacted.