The Assistant Agricultural Fieldman shares the responsibility for the development, coordination and delivery of Agricultural Service Board (ASB) and Recreational Parks programs in
accordance with policies and bylaws established by County Council, and is responsible for the
delivery of the agricultural and environmental extension programming as follows:
- Responsible for the operations of the Agricultural Service Board (ASB) and Recreational
- Parks programs, including developing and delivering all agricultural and environmental extension programming, Shelterbelt Enhancement Program, Weed Control program, Nuisance Wildlife Control program, herbicide application, inspecting and maintaining Tank
- Loading facilities, and coordinating and performing inspections of all Seed Cleaning Plants.
- Assist in the planning and budgeting of the above programs in consultation with the Agricultural Service Board, other department staff and the Chief Administrative Officer.
- Assist in the monitoring of expenditures and the analysis of program costs and effectiveness to ensure compliance to the budget on an ongoing basis.
- Responsible for the supervision, training and coordinating the activities of all seasonal staff for the Agricultural Service Board (ASB) and Recreational Parks programs.
- Acts as municipal inspector under the Weed Control Act; Pest Control Officer under the Agricultural Pests Act; and Soil ConservationOfficer under the Soil Conservation Act.
- Provides leadership and works with departmentstaff to develop and retain highly competent, customer service-oriented staff through selection, compensation, training and day-today supervisory practices which support the County’s vision.
- Maintains membership in good standing with the Association of Alberta Agricultural Fieldmen.
- Ensures a safe work environment for departmentpersonnel at all work sites and contracted project sites by ensuring compliance with Flagstaff County policies, the Health and Safety program and the Human Resources guidelines and procedures.
- Pesticide Applicators Certificate (Agricultural/Industrial)
- A minimum of three (3) years of related experience in an agricultural supervisory role with a strong working knowledge of the principles and practices of supervision to enable him/her to perform his/her dutiescompletely and effectively.
- A minimum of a post-secondary diploma in agricultural/environmental related discipline.
- Skilled in planning and organizing work, supervising staff and delegating work effectively.
- Ability to develop clear and concise reports, correspondence and other written materials, with excellent communication skills.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with council, management teams and staff, contractors and othersencountered in the course of work.
- Thorough knowledge of agricultural practices with a strong understanding of the principles and practices of public administration, including budgeting, purchasing and the maintenance of public records, organization and functions of an elected Council.
- Ability to provide administrative duties for the Agricultural Service Board (ASB).
- Valid driver’s licence.
Position Type: Temporary Term Position October 2018—October 2019
Hours of Work: Monday to Friday, 8 hours/day Salary Range: $63,926.06—$78,620.98
Closing Date: September 17, 2018
Interested candidates are encouraged to submit their resume along with a cover letter by mail or email to:
12435 Township Road 442,
PO Box 358
Sedgewick, AB T0B 4C0
Direct: (780) 384-4138
Thank you to all applicants for your interest in Flagstaff County; however, only those chosen for an interview will be contacted.