AGRICULTURAL SERVICES TECHNICIAN
MUNICIPAL DISTRICT OF GREENVIEW, ALBERTA
DEPARTMENT: Community Services
LOCATION: Valleyview, AB
STATUS: Accepting applications until a suitable candidate is found.
Located in Northwest Alberta, the Municipal District of Greenview is a vast and diverse area rich in oil and gas, fertile farmland, tourist destinations, and mixed wood forests. As the third-largest rural municipality in Alberta, Greenview boasts diversity in economic activities and an extraordinary landscape. Greenview’s economy is strengthened by its diversity, a talented workforce and an entrepreneurial spirit that is second to none. Our residents experience adventure right in their backyards with lakes, rivers, Rocky Mountain peaks and vast prairie offering a year-round outdoor playground for all ages.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
The Agricultural Services Technician reports to the Agricultural Services Supervisor and is responsible for the inspection and documentation of weed and pest infestations, vegetation management within Greenview as well as performing follow up as required while maintaining confidentiality. This is a seasonal position from April 29th to August 30, 2024.
- Inspect and document weed infestations on privately owned land, crown land, and municipal properties.
- Communications with landowners to discuss infestation control measures and municipal programs.
- Diligent and timely documentation of communications with landowners, spray records, and weed and pest inspection records.
- Operation and filling of assigned spray system, in compliance with all pertinent legislation and regulation.
- Daily communications with the Agricultural Services Supervisor to provide reports on elevated priority cases.
- Vegetation management activities as directed by the Agricultural Services Supervisor.
- Minor repairs and servicing of relevant equipment.
- Roadside seeding.
- Occasional pulling of a trailer behind vehicle.
- Perform housekeeping duties as required.
- Document products being applied, areas covered and environmental conditions.
- Other duties as assigned.
QUALIFICATIONS / EDUCATION / EXPERIENCE:
- To perform this job successfully, the individual must be able to perform the duties listed above to a high degree of quality, timeliness, and precision.
- Pesticide application knowledge and experience an asset.
- Valid class 5 driver’s license is required.
- Good verbal and written communication skills.
- Ability to interact well with and respond to inquiries from employees, Management, Council and Ratepayers.
- Works well as part of a team.
- Crop and weed identification and knowledge.
- Working knowledge of iPad and iPhone.
- Must be self-motivated and able to work with minimal supervision and within a team.
- Excellent organizational skills.
- Diligent record keeping skills.
- Ability to interpret, implement and adhere to organizational policies and procedures.
WORKING CONDITIONS AND PHYSICAL ENVIRONMENT:
- Extensive periods of sitting, standing, and walking through all types of terrain.
- Subject to working in an outdoor environment – heat, cold, dry, dusty and / or wet conditions as well as insects, bees, and wildlife.
- Moderate physical effort; occasional heavy lifting.
- Working alone in a rural area.
- Use and operation of a variety of vehicles including trucks and ATVs over all types of terrain.
- Subject to falls, cuts, and scrapes.
- Hazards associated with working on or alongside roadways.
- Exposure to pesticides.
- Normal working day consists of 7.5 hours; however occasional overtime may be required.
HEALTH & SAFETY:
- All personnel working at the Municipal District of Greenview are governed by the Municipal District Health & Safety Policy.
- Ensures all operations are conducted in a safe manner and in accordance with Municipal District Policies and Occupational Health & Safety Regulations.
- Required to wear correct Personal Protective Equipment as per safe job procedures.
- May be required to wear respiratory equipment if conditions warrant.
- Pesticide application – gloves, boots, respirator, coveralls, and head protection.
- Must follow all safe job procedures.
Note: The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by the incumbent of this job. They are not intended to be an exhaustive list of all responsibilities and activities required of the position.
HOW TO APPLY:
Interested candidates may submit cover letter (stating the position you are applying to) and resume in one of the following ways:
Mail or Drop Off: Municipal District of Greenview No. 16
4806 – 36 Ave., Box 1079
Valleyview, Alberta T0H 3N0
Confidential Fax: 780-524-3981
While we truly appreciate all applications, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.