Lamont County is located less than 45 minutes east of Edmonton and is part of Alberta’s Industrial Heartland. With a population of approx. 4,000 and a service area of over 9,500 residents. The county is adjacent to Strathcona County, the City of Fort Saskatchewan, and many important regional municipalities. We offer exciting and challenging job opportunities focused on delivering and supporting high-quality programs and services to our residents.
Lamont County is seeking experienced and highly motivated individuals to join our team. We are looking for two Weed Inspectors with our Agriculture Services Board (ASB). Term: May 1, 2023, to August 31, 2023, with possible extension.
JOB DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Assists the Weed Inspection Program by identifying invasive weed species, conducting field inspections, and recording sites with GIS programming.
- Responds to weed complaints and create detailed reports.
- Advises landowners on weed identification and their weed control responsibilities.
- Issues enforcement notices as required by The Weed Control Act.
- Assists with annual crop pest surveillance program, including insect and crop diseases.
- Assists in the Clubroot Management Program.
- Safety orientated by using appropriate personal protective equipment, following safe work practices and procedures, monitoring, and servicing equipment.
- Other duties as required.
QUALIFICATIONS AND REQUIREMENTS:
- Currently a student or recent graduate of an Environmental or Agricultural Sciences related program.
- Possesses excellent communication skills and is safety orientated.
- Holds a Class 5 Alberta Drivers’ License.
- Able to work effectively independently and as part of a team.
- Provides reliable transportation to work.
- Able to lift 50lbs, sit for long durations, and perform other duties in various conditions
- Familiarity with weed species identification, crop pest identification, an agricultural background; and word processing, spreadsheet, and GIS computer software would be considered an asset.
CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT:
- A satisfactory and valid Driver’s Abstract.
- A satisfactory Criminal Record Check.
- A negative drug screen.
This position is based on a 40-hour work week, Monday through Friday, 7:30 a.m. to 4:00 p.m.
Lamont County offers a competitive wage based on experience and qualifications ($22 - $27).
Training in weed identification, herbicide stewardship, and Authorized Assistant training may be provided.
Please forward your application in one of the following ways (as one PDF or Word document only):
Lamont County thanks all applicants for their interest. Please note: only those individuals selected for an interview will be contacted. Please indicate in your application which position you are applying for and submit a separate application for different positions. All resumes are retained on file for a period of six months.