Temporary Full Time Position
Rate of Pay
$26.39 - $30.86
Hours of Work
Monday – Friday
8 am – 4:30 pm May 13 – May 17 Monday - Thursday
7 am – 5:30 pm May 20 – September 26
Competition Close Date
February 15, 2019
What an Operator does:
Operate equipment to control grass and weeds on municipal land.
- Operate a 150-horsepower tractor and a 15-foot rotary cutter sidearm unit with herbicide application technology to mow grass and control weeds on municipal road allowances, and park reserves.
- Perform grass and weed control work on private lands, as directed by supervisor.
- Apply herbicides in accordance with all relevant legislation.
- Record details of work performed, including materials used, equipment maintenance activities, weather conditions, and locations.
- Maintain all related equipment and assist with servicing and repairs.
- Perform other vegetation management duties when weather is restrictive to mowing.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Adhere to applicable responsibilities and accountabilities as outlined in the Sturgeon County Health and Safety Management System.
What are we looking for?
- Current Industrial Pesticide Applicator certification or Authorized Assistant certification (or the ability to obtain).
- Valid class 5 driver’s license with an acceptable driver’s abstract.
- Standard First Aid certification.
- Defensive Driving certification (or the ability to obtain).
- Ability to wear a half mask with organic carbon filters when handling herbicides, and completion of a Respiratory User Screening Form as per the CSA Z94.4-11
- Ability to conduct strenuous work for extended time periods and perform medium lifting of 25 kilograms.
- Access to a reliable vehicle to travel to various work sites.
- Experience with trailer hookup, cargo securement and towing.
- Experience driving a pickup on gravel roads would be considered an asset.
- Ability to work effectively independently and as part of a team.
- Ability to communicate effectively and courteously with supervisor, co-workers and the public.
- Familiarity with the Alberta Township Survey (ATS) System.
- Ability to maintain accurate records and to prepare written reports.
- Mechanical knowledge and aptitude to repair and maintain tractors and other implements.
- Knowledge of pesticides, agronomic practices, and an agricultural background would be an asset.
- Strong problem-solving skills.
Please submit your resume and cover letter by email quoting the competition number in the subject line to:
Morinville, AB T8R 1L9
Applicants must submit at time of application a 5-year Commercial Drivers Abstract dated within 30 days of application. Internal driver evaluations will be conducted prior to hire. Thank you to all applicants for their interest, however only those chosen for an interview will be contacted.
Sturgeon County is an equal opportunity employer.