Temporary Full Time
Rate of Pay
$21.01 - $24.56
Hours of Work
Monday - Friday
8:00 am – 4:30 pm April 29 – May 3
7:00 am – 3:30 pm May 6 – August 16
What a Labourer does:
- Perform summer maintenance of the gounds surrounding Sturgeon County’s office buildings and shops.
- Perform grounds keeping activities such as, but not limited to: grass cutting, lawn aeration, raking, weed control, brush clearing, tree pruning, garbage collection, planting, and watering.
- Safely operate various equipment to perform work including, but not limited to: push and riding lawn mowers, rototillers, tractors, weed trimmers, utility terrain vehicles, all-terrain vehicles, pickup trucks and power tools.
- Apply herbicides in accordance with all relevant legislation.
- Record details of work performed, including materials used, weather conditions and locations.
- Maintain related equipment and perform minor repairs. This includes preventative maintenance of department rental equipment.
- Assist with horticultural and arboricultural tasks or inquiries such as tree planting and pest identification. Investigate complaints and report on actions taken.
- Perform other duties as assigned by supervisor. Ex) shop tasks, inventory, cleaning, etc.
- Adhere to applicable responsibilities and accountabilities as outlined in the Sturgeon County Health and Safety Management System.
What are we looking for?
- Experience in lawn care, property maintenance, equipment operations, and equipment repair.
- Experience with plant and insect identification.
- A current Industrial Pesticide Applicator certification or Authorized Assistant certification (or the ability to obtain). Knowledge of pesticides.
- Completion of some post-secondary education in horticulture, arboriculture, or related discipline would be an asset.
- Ability to identify noxious and prohibited noxious weed species.
- Valid class 5 driver’s license with an acceptable 5-year commercial driver’s abstract.
- Defensive Driving certification (or the ability to obtain).
- Ability to wear a half mask with organic carbon filters when handling and applying herbicides, and completion of a Respiratory User Screening Form as per the CSA Z94.4-11.
- Ability to conduct strenuous work in an outdoor setting and perform medium lifting of 25 kilograms.
- Experience with trailer hookup, cargo securement and towing.
- Experience driving a pickup on gravel roads would be considered an asset.
- Ability to work effectively under minimal supervision and or independently and as part of a team coupled with excellent communication skills.
- Ability to maintain accurate records and to prepare written reports.
- Familiarity with the Alberta Township Survey (ATS) System.
- Strong problem-solving skills.
Please submit your resume and cover letter by email quoting the competition number in the subject line to:
Morinville, AB T8R 1L9
Applicants must submit at time of application a 5-year Commercial Drivers Abstract dated within 30 days of application. Internal driver evaluations will be conducted prior to hire. Thank you to all applicants for their interest, however only those chosen for an interview will be contacted.
Sturgeon County is an equal opportunity employer.