Located in the heart of Central Alberta, Red Deer County provides a wonderful mix of rural and urban amenities. Over 97% of County residents report high satisfaction with their quality of life, making Red Deer County a great destination for both living and working.
Red Deer County is a great place to work! It is much more than just a job to go to. It is a place where everyone plays an important role. At Red Deer County, we believe that mutual trust and respect, shared responsibility, and open communication are essential characteristics for creating personal success within a first class working environment.
The Agriculture Services Department of Red Deer County has a seasonal, full-time position for a dynamic and highly motivated Agricultural Field Assistant to supplement our ongoing focus in the delivery of customer service excellence.
Under the direction of the Assistant Agricultural Manager, the responsibilities of the position include, but are not limited to:
- Identification of a wide range of weeds and crops as well as other pests.
- Manual/chemical weed control.
- Identification and reporting of prohibited and noxious weeds.
- Communication with County residents, the general public, and staff.
- Operation and maintenance of pesticide application equipment.
- Operation of light duty equipment and small hand and power tools.
- Duties related to conservation.
- Detailed record keeping, computer operation, and other office duties.
- Manual labour and other duties as required within the scope of the position.
**Candidates will be assigned to various core duties according to their aptitudes. The core duties include: weed inspection, herbicide application, and seeding.
- Completion of (or currently enrolled in) a post-secondary Agriculture, Horticulture, or related certificate or diploma program; an equivalent combination of experience and education will be considered.
- Ability to identify a wide range of weeds and crops.
- Familiarity of general cropping practices in Central Alberta.
- Ability to work alone with minimal supervision.
- Proficient computer skills (MS Office applications).
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills.
- Ability to lift 20-25 kilograms.
- All resumes, and personal information provided therein, will be handled in accordance with the Province of Alberta Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy
- (FOIPP) legislation. The personal information that you provide to Red Deer County is being collected solely for the purpose of applying for employment. Any questions or concerns should be directed to our FOIPP Coordinator at 403-357-5394.
- Valid Class 5 Drivers’ License with acceptable drivers’ abstract and criminal records check.
- Valid Pesticide Applicator Certification with Industrial Classifications is an asset.
- Experience with light duty equipment and hand tools is an asset.
- Knowledge and understanding of the Weed Control Act is an asset.
- Background in Agriculture is an asset.
This is a seasonal, full-time position (40 hours/week).
Term: May 1, 2019 – August 30, 2019 **Opportunity for extension of term**
Qualified parties are requested to submit a detailed resume and cover letter to the Human Resources
Department no later than 12:00 p.m., Friday, February 15th, 2019 to:
Jennifer Dennis - Human Resources Coordinator
Red Deer County Centre
38106, Range Rd. 275
Red Deer County, AB T4S 2L9
We thank all applicants for their interest; however, only those invited for an interview will be contacted.