Big Lakes County has an exciting opportunity for an Agricultural Fieldman to join our team. In this role you will provide leadership and direction in the development, implementation and maintenance of programs and services related to Agriculture. Such as Vegetation Management, Pest Control, Soil Conservation, Extension Activities and Rental Equipment.
Director of Community & Protective Services
Seasonal Weed/Pest Inspectors (4), Contractors.
Key Roles & Responsibilities:
- Oversee the field operations of Agriculture Services in accordance with Legislation, Regulations, Permits and Approvals and County Policies & Procedures.
- Act as a resource to the Agricultural Advisory Committee and direct the meetings.
- Seasonal vegetation management program (seeding, pesticide application, weed inspecting).
- Stay familiar with, interpret, implement, and act as an inspector under the Agricultural Service Board Act, Weed Control Act, Soil Conservation Act, Agricultural Pests Act, Animal Health Act.
- Planning of public information meetings regarding Agriculture programs.
- Draft correspondence, reports, and agendas for Director of Community Services & Protective Services with relation to Agriculture Services.
- Development of programs, policies, and procedures in consultation with Director of Community & Protective Services for all aspects of Agriculture Services.
- Preparation of the annual Agriculture Services Strategic Plan, work plan, budget,project tracking and expenditure control.
- Coordinate and supervise all contract work for Agriculture Services projects.
- Coordinate and Oversee the Agriculture Service Board rental equipment program.
- Maintain accurate records as per Acts, Policies and County procedures.
- Attend Agricultural Advisory Committee meetings and other meetings as required.
- Coordinate with Public Works staff regarding the vegetation maintenance of registered drainage and brushing schedules.
- Staffing, training, daily report assessments, performance reviews, coaching, advising, and discipline.
- Research and apply for appropriate funding for Agriculture Services projects.
- Prepare and coordinate tenders for Agriculture Services projects.
- Support local agricultural research organizations (SARDA-Smoky Applied Research & Demonstration Association and PCBFA – Peace Country Beef & Forage Association).
- Meet with and assist landowners with decisions on agronomic practices concerning weed control, pest control and soil conservation issues.
- Preparation of tenders/contracts for supplies, contractors, and equipment as requiredby Agriculture Services.
- Ensure inventories of Agriculture Services supplies are maintained.
- Other duties as required.
Education & Experience:
- Post-secondary education in Agriculture, Environmental Science, or a combination of equivalent education and experience is required.
- Preferred 3 years’ experience in Agriculture Services Industry including supervisory experience.
- Must have Pesticide Applicators Certificate (Agriculture, Industrial and Landscape classes).
- Member in good standing with the Association of Alberta Agricultural Fieldman or the ability to qualify.
- Valid Class 5 driver’s license and provision of an annual driver’s abstract.
- Criminal Record Check.
- Transportation of Dangerous Goods Certificate (TDG) – preferred
- First Aid Certification – preferred.
Knowledge, Skills & Attributes:
- Proficiency with Microsoft Word and Excel.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Ability to interact and respond to inquiries from Agricultural Advisory Committee, Management, Employees, and Ratepayers.
- Basic accounting skills and familiarity with finances and budgets.
- Trouble shooting and problem-solving skills.
- Must maintain confidentiality.
- Must be self-motivated, and able to work with minimal supervision.
- Ability to interpret, implement and adhere to organizational policies and procedures.
- Weed and Crop identification and knowledge. • Pesticide application knowledge and experience.
- Mechanically inclined.
- Map reading skills.
- Working knowledge of Geographical Positioning System (GPS) & Geographic Information System (GIS).
Working Conditions & Physical Environment:
- Working in outdoor environment – heat, cold, dry, dusty and/or wet conditions as well as insects, bees, and wildlife.
- Use and operation of trucks and ATV’s.
- Work may be performed in extreme temperatures.
Physical job requirements:
- May require lifting and carrying of up to 23 kg, bending, twisting, kneeling, squatting, crawling.
- Controlled exposure to pesticides.
- Use of Computer and Telephone.
- Use of Personal Protective Equipment.
- All personnel working at Big Lakes County are governed by the County’s Health & Safety Policy.
- Ensures all operations are conducted in a safe manner and in accordance with County Policies and Occupational Health & Safety Regulations
- Required to wear correct P.P.E as per safe job procedures
- Must check in as per Working Alone legislation
- Must follow all safe job procedures
Big Lakes County offers an excellent benefit and pension package with a competitive salary.
Submit Cover Letter & Resume, Including References To:
Eunice McCauley, Human Resources Manager
Big Lakes County
High Prairie, AB
T0G 1E0 Ph: 780-523-5955 Fx: 780-523-4227
Deadline for applications: Open until suitable candidates are found. Big Lakes County thanks all applicants for their interest; however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted. Visit our website at www.biglakescounty.ca for more information.