Agricultural Programs Supervisor Competition 56-2020
Position Type: 1-year Temporary Full Time
Rate of Pay: $83,864 - $110,358 per annum
Hours of Work: 40 hrs per week Monday to Friday
Competition Close Date: October 21, 2020 @ 1 pm MST
The Agricultural Programs Supervisor is responsible for the coordination and supervision of agricultural operations.
• Assign and participate in daily work tasks necessary for effective completion of agricultural operations including vegetation management, horticulture, pest and nuisance control, and soil conservation; ensure all required reporting is completed.
• Ensure that all regulatory requirements applicable to agricultural operations are met.
• Coordinate and participate in the recruitment, supervision, professional development, and performance management of employees.
• Continual monitoring of the development, improvement, and documentation of operational processes and procedures.
• Coordinate the operation, maintenance, and repair of agricultural program-related equipment.
• Maintain and monitor inventory of all supplies and materials necessary for assignments.
• Ensure that agricultural inquiries and concerns are dealt with in a timely and consistent manner, in accordance with policies, procedures, County Bylaws, and applicable Provincial Legislation.
• Participate in annual budget preparation by monitoring specific budget expenditures and providing suggestions for budget adjustments and program improvements.
• Responsible for the inspection and issuance of Licenses for the Operation of a Grain or Seed Cleaning Plants under the Weed Control Act.
• Serve as an inspector under the Soil Conservation Act, Agricultural Pests Act, Weed Control Act and all other related provincial acts and municipal bylaws.
• Perform special projects and other duties as required by the department manager.
• Adhere to applicable responsibilities and accountabilities as outlined in the Sturgeon County Health and Safety Management System.
Job Qualifications and Skills
• A diploma in an agriculture related discipline or enrollment in a diploma program and a minimum of 5 years of relevant agricultural experience.
• 2 years of supervisory experience.
• Certification as an Agricultural Fieldmen through the Association of Alberta Agricultural Fieldmen (or the ability to obtain).
• Pesticide Applicator License- Industrial, Agriculture and Landscape Classes with a minimum of 2 years of applicator experience.
• Explosives License (or ability to obtain).
• Class 5 Driver’s License
• Strong oral and written communication skills.
• Ability to work effectively in a team environment and to work independently.
• Strong leadership and interpersonal skills.
• Strong customer service skills.
• Strong organizational skills.
• Ability to mentor and train others.
• Knowledge of agricultural practices and the ability to identify weeds and agricultural pests.
• Ability to perform work in an office setting and to perform work in the field.
• Ability to lift up to 25 Kilograms.
Thank you to all applicants for their interest, however only those chosen for an interview will be contacted.
Sturgeon County is an equal opportunity employer.