Building - Through council’s leadership, building and diversifying Big Lakes County’s economy and strengthening the County’s role as a leader of rural municipalities.
Sustainable – Striving for sustainability in Big Lakes County by setting the stage for continued innovation, education, diversification and good government.
Municipality – Maintaining the rural landscape in Big Lakes County by protecting agricultural resources and
Reporting to the Agricultural Fieldman, the Assistant Agricultural Fieldman is responsible for the implementation and management of sound agricultural programs for the public and for the implementation of the ALUS program.
Key Roles & Responsibilities
- Provides technical support to the ALUS PAC (Partnership Advisory Committee) including GIS mapping, creating and presenting project summaries for potential projects at PAC meetings.
- Liaising with agricultural producers to create project proposals, monitor current projects, and providing program support.
- Liaison with local non-profit organizations to deliver the ALIS program.
- Assist in the preparation and monitoring of Agriculture and ALUS expenditures and budget planning.
- Assist in developing, maintaining and managing relationships with partner organizations.
- Assist in advisory role to producers on agricultural and other related topics.
- Assist in supervising and providing training and guidance for summer staff and project personnel.
- Provides monthly reports to the Agricultural Fieldman.
- Assist Agricultural Fieldman with ASB meetings.
- Responsible for the planning of extension workshops to the public.
- Act as resource person to the Agriculture Fieldman and sits on various committees as required.
- Adheres to guidelines as set out in accordance with established policy:
- Pest Control
- Soil Conservation and Demonstration
- Weed Inspection and Control
- Roadside Vegetation
- Rural and Community Services:
- Public awareness through workshops, seminars, field days and provide educational materials.
- Assist in the equipment rental program.
- Assist farmers with the development of environmental farm plans and CAP grant applications.
- Administer shelterbelt program.
- Other duties as required
Education & Experience
- Degree (B.Sc./P.Ag) or diploma in Agriculture or Environmental Sciences is desirable
- Pesticide Applicators License‐ Agriculture, Industrial and Landscape Certificates
- Good physical condition to perform both field and office duties
- Familiarity with ALUS Canada
- Valid Alberta Class 5 Operator’s
- Current drivers abstract
- Certification or willingness to obtain: WHMIS, TDG, Standard First Aid/CPR, ATV Rider Training and or other training as required
Knowledge, Skills & Attributes
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Record keeping skills
- Must maintain confidentiality
- Must be self-motivated, and able to work with minimal supervision
- Weed and Crop identification and knowledge
Working Conditions and Physical Environment
- Work is performed at various outdoor work sites within the County
- Use and operation of trucks and ATV’s
- Work may be performed in extreme temperatures
- Physical job requirements: May require lifting and carrying of up to 23 kg, bending, twisting, kneeling, squatting, crawling
- Exposure to outdoor conditions,
- Dust and fumes
Health & Safety:
- All personnel working at Big Lakes County are governed by the County’s Health & Safety Policy.
- Ensures all operations are conducted in a safe manner and in accordance with County Policies and Occupational Health & Safety Regulations
- Required to wear correct P.P.E as per safe job procedures
- Must check in as per Working Alone legislation
- Must follow all safe job procedures
Submit cover letter and resume, including references to:
Human Resources Manager
Big Lakes County
Box 239, High Prairie, AB T0G 1E0
Deadline for applications: Open until suitable candidate is found.
Big Lakes County thanks all applicants for their interest; however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted. Visit our website at www.biglakescounty.ca for more information.