Competition #: 55-2018 | Closes July 16, 2018 @ 1:00pm
What an Operations Supervisor does:
As a key member of Sturgeon County’s Agriculture Services Department, this position is responsible for all operational activities within the Vegetation Management, Pest Management, and Park Maintenance programs.
- Ensure successful delivery and quality control of Vegetation Management, Pest Management and Park Maintenance operations in accordance with the department business plan, while striving for continuous improvement and enhanced efficiency.
- Administer and enforce the Agricultural Service Board Act, Weed Control Act, Agricultural Pests Act and Soil Conservation Act.
- Prepare management reports on operational activities and ensure adequate resourcing is in place by providing input into the annual department budget; propose service enhancements when required.
- Respond to public inquiries and complaints on agricultural-related matters.
- Facilitate discussions to resolve emergent situations involving operational activities.
- Provide advice and guidance to other Sturgeon County departments.
- Accountable for the recruitment, performance management, training, and professional development of program supervisors and their direct reports.
- Ensure that all legislative requirements are met under the Explosives Act, the Wildlife Act, the Environmental Protectionand Enhancement Act, the Pest Control Products Act, the Occupational Health and Safety Act and any other federal and provincial regulations.
- Effectively manage records, electronic documents, and information according to the Sturgeon County Records and Information Management System.
- Adhere to applicable responsibilities and accountabilities as outlined in the Sturgeon County Health and Safety Management System.
- Perform other duties as required.
To be successful the incumbent must have leadership and management skills that include: excellent written and verbal communication skills; team player with an attitude of cooperation and the ability to work independently; negotiation skills; ability to make recommendations and decisions; strong computer skills while using Microsoft office programs; ability to plan, organize and supervise a relevant project ensuring completion in a timely and efficientmanner.
What are we looking for?
A post-secondary diploma or degree in Agriculture or an Environmental discipline with five years of supervisory-level experience in the Municipal Government. A Pesticide Applicator License with Industrial, Agriculture, and Landscape classes and certification as an Agricultural Fieldmen through the Alberta Association of Agricultural Fieldmen or the ability to obtain is required. Ideal candidate will also hold an Explosives License for Beaver Dam Blasting. Class 5 Drivers License with Defensive Driving Certificate.
Why work for us?
We are a thriving, vibrant rural community sharing one of our borders with Edmonton and St. Albert. Our organization is dedicated to improving the quality of life for our residents and we make that happen through our family culture, a strong spirit and progressive attitude.
Please submit your resume and cover letter by email quoting the competition number in the subject line to:
Morinville, AB T8R 1L9
Thank you to all applicants for their interest, however only those chosen for an interview will be contacted.
Sturgeon County is an equal opportunity employer.
Position Type: Temporary - 18 months
Rate of Pay - $88.585 - $116,570
Hours of Work – 35 hours per week 8:30 am - 4:30 pm - Monday to Friday
Competition Close Date
July 16, 2018 @ 1:00pm