AGRICULTURAL SUPERVISOR TRAINEE
DEPARTMENT: Community Services
LOCATION: Valleyview, Alberta
STATUS: Temporary (approx. one (1) year)
Located in Northwest Alberta, the Municipal District of Greenview is a vast and diverse area rich in oil and gas, fertile farm•land, and mixed wood forests. As the third-largest rural municipality in Alberta, Greenview boasts diversity in economic activities and an extraordinary landscape. Greenview’s economy is strengthened by its diversity, a talented workforce and an entrepreneurial spirit that is second to none. Our residents experience adventure right in their backyards with lakes, rivers, Rocky Mountain peaks and vast prairie offering a year-round outdoor playground for all ages.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
The Agricultural Supervisor Trainee assists the Manager and Assistant Manager of Agricultural Services with successful administration of Greenview’s Weed Inspection Program. During the summer months the Agricultural Supervisor Trainee will act as a Team Lead for the Weed/ Pest Inspectors. This includes assisting with training and supervision of the day-to-day activities. In the off season the Agricultural Supervisor Trainee will coordinate the education and public outreach components of the Weed Inspection Program, other Agriculture Department programs, and will ensure that all record keeping from the previous season is audited for completeness.
- Assist with planning, prioritizing and implementing the yearly Weed Inspection Program
- Assist with ensuring compliance to relevant regulations and legislation
- Act as a Team Lead for Weed/Pest Inspectors to ensure all Greenview properties are free of noxious weeds, prohibited noxious weeds, and nuisance pests
- Function as a Weed/Pest Inspector during the summer
- Assist with training provided to Weed/Pest Inspectors
- Ensure weed infestation and documentation is properly performed
- Inform landowners of all control measures
- Ensure all data is properly entered into tracking and mapping systems
- Create monthly agendas, as well as, take minutes for ASB meetings
- Agriculture Program educational and outreach functions including: presentations and public workshops.
- Weed awareness research and communication to rate payers
- Audit record keeping from previous summer season
- Ensure all records are complete and up to date
- Keep department webpage and other Greenview Agricultural resources up-to-date
- Create media advertisements for upcoming workshops and other related events
- Facilitate and organize extension events
- Other duties as required
QUALIFICATIONS / EDUCATION / EXPERIENCE:
- To perform this job successfully, the individual must be able to perform the duties listed above to a high degree of quality, timeliness, and precision
- Grade 12 Diploma.
- Post-Secondary Degree or Diploma in Agricultural Environment Sciences preferred.
- Three (3) years of applicable experience in a municipal environment is considered an asset.
- Supervisory experience, or a willingness to take courses, considered an asset
- Class 5 driver’s license
- Proficiency with Microsoft Word and Excel
- Experience with PowerPoint and Publisher is an asset
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Ability to organize and prioritize workload
- Experience with GIS is considered an asset
- Ability to interact well with, and respond to inquiries from Employees, Management, and Ratepayers
- Must maintain confidentiality
- Must be self-motivated, and able to work with minimal supervision
- Ability to interpret, implement and adhere to organizational policies and procedures
WORKING CONDITIONS AND PHYSICAL ENVIRONMENT:
- Possible extensive use of Telephone and computer
- Possibility to working in a high noise environment
- Long periods of sitting, standing
- Subject to working in outdoor environment – heat, cold, dry, dusty and/or wet conditions as well as insects, bees and wildlife
- Use and operation of a vehicle/ATV
- Normal working day consists of 7.5 hours; however occasional overtime may be required
- Potential exposure to hazardous substances
HEALTH & SAFETY:
- All personnel working at the Municipal District of Greenview are governed by the Municipal District Health & Safety Policy.
- Ensures all operations are conducted in a safe manner and in accordance with Municipal District Policies and Occupational Health & Safety Regulations.
- Required to wear correct P.P.E. as per safe job procedures.
- Must check in as per Working Alone legislation.
- Must follow all safe job procedures.
- Ensures all operations are conducted in a safe manner and in accordance with Occupational Health and Safety regulations.
Note: The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by the incumbent of this job. They are not intended to be an exhaustive list of all responsibilities and activities required of the position.
JOB POSTING INFORMATION:
Interested candidates may submit cover letter and resume in one of the following ways: Mail or Drop Off: Municipal District of Greenview No. 16
4806 – 36 Ave., Box 1079, Valleyview, Alberta T0H 3N0