The County of Barrhead is seeking a full time Assistant Agricultural Fieldman. The successful applicant will be an energetic, self-motivated individual, who will provide leadership and facilitate the delivery of our agricultural programs under the direction of the Agricultural Fieldman.
Duties will include, but not limited to:
- Provide hands-on services as well as supervise the implementation of weed inspection/pesticide application, pest and nuisance wildlife control, shelterbelt tree programs, educational programs, and a variety of other Agricultural Service Board (ASB) Programs.
- Provide agricultural expertise, support and information to the department, Boards, Committees, residents, rural and inter-municipal partners;
- Provide supervision of seasonal and support staff within the department;
- Coordinate and monitor the identification, reporting and control of weeds and pests for the County;
- Arrange inspections, collection and licensing of seed plants in the County;
- Administer, interpret and enforce legislation such as Agricultural Service Board Act, Agricultural Pests Act, Weed Control Act, Soil Conservation Act, Environmental Code of Practice for Pesticides, and related OH&S legislation.
- Assist in the development of the annual budget and reports.
- Coordinate the Safety Program.
Ideal candidate will possess:
- Diploma, Degree (or work-related equivalent) in Agriculture, Environment or a related field.
- Pesticide Applicator’s Certificate of Qualification in the Agricultural, Landscape and Industrial classifications, or able to obtain soon after assuming the position.
- Valid Alberta Class 5 Operator’s License.
- Thorough knowledge of techniques to address agricultural and environmental challenges.
- Experience with Safety Program implementation considered an asset.
- Demonstrated ability to be a leader, team player and self-starter who can work with minimal supervision.
- Experience with equipment and being mechanically inclined.
- Record keeping and computer literacy, with knowledge of GPS considered an asset.
The above information describes the general nature and level of work that is expected. This information is not intended to be an exhaustive list of all responsibilities and activities required of the position.
Salary Range: $59,015 - $76,719 annually
Closing Date: November 1, 2017 @ 4:30 pm or until a suitable candidate is found.
5306 – 49 Street, Barrhead, AB T7N 1N5
Fax: 780-674-2777; Phone: 780-674-3331
We thank all applicants for their interest, however, only candidates invited for interviews will be contacted.