Agricultural Officer – Pest & Disease
Agriculture department – Community Services division
Wage: $30.50 - $36.37/hour plus a comprehensive benefits package
Schedule: Monday – Friday, 8:00 a.m. – 4:30 p.m.
Position Type: Non-management
Closing Date: Non-management
The County of Grande Prairie is seeking an Agricultural Officer – Pest & Disease to join our dynamic Agriculture team. Reporting to the Agricultural Fieldman, this position monitors the level and occurrences of agricultural pests and diseases within the County of Grande Prairie as per the Agricultural Pests Act. This position is also responsible for coordinating and implementing field trials and demonstrations.
The duties will include; but are not limited to:
- Develop and implement a work plan for the seasonal term;
- Sample for agricultural pests and diseases as per the Agricultural Pest Act and under the direction of the Agricultural Fieldman;
- Collect and assimilate data;
- Complete reports as required by the Agricultural Fieldman, the Agricultural Services Board and/or Alberta Agriculture and Rural Development;
- Provide back-up coverage to the Weed Inspectors, coordinating with the Agriculture Officer - Weed Inspection and/or the Assistant Agricultural Fieldman;
- Establish and maintain Invasive Plants Demonstration Area for public education purposes;
- Supervise and manage performance of seasonal labourers and co-ordinate labour/weed picking duties;
- Provide assistance to the Agricultural Fieldman on monthly crop reporting for Alberta Agriculture;
- Administrative tasks such as, records management, responding to public inquiries, etc.
The ideal candidate will possess:
- Diploma (or work-related equivalent) and experience in agriculture or related field;
- Pesticide Applicators license;
- Association of Alberta Agriculture Fieldmen membership;
- A current class 5 Alberta driver’s license and satisfactory drivers abstract;
- Previous supervisory experience;
- Experience with agricultural pest and disease surveys, sampling methodology, data assimilation and interpretation, report writing, and field trials/demonstrations;
- Results-oriented and demonstrate a concern for surpassing a standard of excellence;
- Excellent time and project management skills.
- Qualified applicants may apply in confidence via our website at www.countygp.ab.ca.