Sturgeon County is recruiting for the following full-time casual position:
Vegetation Management Technician I
- Operate herbicide application equipment to control weeds on municipal road allowances and park reserves
- Responsible for ensuring all herbicide applications by their work units are completed in compliance with provincial legislation.
- Perform mechanical and manual weed control work.
- Responsible for keeping records of all work performed in accordance with the Environmental Code of Practice for Pesticides.
- Record details of work performed, including materials used, weather conditions and locations.
- Service and maintain all related equipment.
- Perform other related duties as required.
- Adhere to applicable responsibilities and accountabilities as outlined in the Sturgeon County Health and Safety Management System.
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team.
- Ability to communicate effectively and courteously with supervisors, co-workers and the public.
- Familiarity with the Alberta Township Survey (ATS) System.
- Ability to maintain accurate records and to prepare written reports.
- Knowledge of pesticides.
- Ability to identify noxious and prohibited noxious weed species.
- Completion of some post-secondary studies in agriculture, environmental science or a related field.
- Authorized Assistant Certificate (or ability to obtain)
- Ability to perform medium lifting of 50 pounds.
- Valid class 5 driver’s license and a clean driver’s abstract.
- Emergency or Standard First-Aid (or ability to obtain prior to start date)
- Defensive Driving Training (or ability to obtain prior to start date)
- Ability to wear a half mask with organic carbon filters when handling and applying herbicides and completion of a Respiratory User Screening Form as per the CSA Z94.4-11 prior to start date
- An agricultural background would be an asset.
Competition Number: 45-2017
Position Type: immediately – August 18, 2017
Rate of Pay: $22.96 - $26.86 / hr 40 hours per week, Monday to Friday
Hours of Work: 7:00 am – 3:30 pm (some overtime may be required)
Competition Closing Date: Open till a suitable candidate is found
Sturgeon County: a diverse, active community that pioneers opportunities and promotes initiative while embracing rural lifestyles.
As an employer, we continually seek individuals with the spirit to make things happen.
Morinville, AB T8R 1L9
Toll Free 1-866-939-9303
Interested candidates are encouraged to submit their application/resume by mail, fax or email quoting the competition number.
Thank you to all applicants for their interest in Sturgeon County; however only those chosen for an interview will be contacted.
Further information about this position can be obtained by calling Victoria Dubord 780 939 8330
Your personal information is collected under the authority of Section 33(c) of the Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy (FOIP) Act. Personal information you provide may be used for the purposes of determining whether you are suitable and qualified for a position with Sturgeon County. If you have any questions about the collection and use of this information, please contact the Sturgeon County County FOIP Coordinator at the Sturgeon County Centre located at 9613-100 Street, Morinville, AB, T8R 1L9 or contact the FOIP Coordinator at 780-939-4321.