Agricultural Services Department
Seasonal Agricultural Vegetation Management Technician
Athabasca County ASB is seeking qualified, dynamic, knowledgeable, and energetic individuals as Vegetation Management Technicians. These individuals will assist as a weed inspector and herbicide applicator, and complete other duties as determined by the Farm Production Specialist or designate.
Duties of the successful candidate will include:
Working under provincial legislation and programs including: the Agricultural Service Board Act, Alberta Weed Control Act, Soil Conservation Act, and the Agricultural Pests Act.
- Operation and maintenance of herbicide application equipment
- Maintaining detailed weed inspection and spray application records utilizing GPS technology
- Assisting with Provincial agricultural surveys
- Working with local producers in weed ID & control, completing crop and pest reports, and giving technical or other support
- Maintaining ASB shop
- Operate small equipment, trucks with trailers, and tree spade (training available)
- Participate in safety meetings and training as part of the County’s Health and Safety program.
- Perform any other duties as required.
- Valid Class 5 Alberta Driver’s License;
- Educational background in agriculture, environmental or biology or related fields
- Strong plant/weed identification skills (training available)
- Hold an Alberta Pesticide Applicators Certification or be eligible to obtain an Alberta Authorized Assistant applicators license;(training available)
- Ability to communicate effectively
- Ability to lift up to 50 lbs and perform work outdoors in all weather conditions
- Strong work ethic and self-starter
- Excellent communication, records management, and organizational skills
- Good teamwork, partnering, and networking skills
- Excellent problem solving skills
- Strong commitment to public service
- Comfortable with technology i.e. computers, GIS, GPS (training available)
Mail: ATHABASCA COUNTY HR Department
3602 48th Ave